9. Every Writer Leaves Fingerprints
No two people have the same fingerprints.
That has always fascinated me.
A pattern so small it can fit upon the tip of a finger, yet unique enough to identify an entire human life.
I have come to believe that writing leaves fingerprints, too.
Not the kind detectives search for.
The kind readers quietly recognize.
Every writer returns to certain places.
Not because they have run out of ideas.
Because some questions remain with us longer than others.
One writer spends a lifetime writing about the sea.
Another cannot stop writing about home.
Some circle around love.
Others around grief.
Some return, again and again, to childhood.
Others spend decades trying to understand a single goodbye.
At first, I worried about this.
I noticed myself revisiting the same images.
Doors.
Silence.
Memory.
Breath.
Rooms.
The quiet distance between people who wish they knew how to reach one another.
I wondered whether I was repeating myself.
Whether I should force myself to write about something entirely different.
But the more I read the writers I admired, the more I noticed something beautiful.
They all had fingerprints.
Not because they repeated the same sentences.
Because they spent their lives looking at the world through the same heart.
A painter may use thousands of colours.
Yet we still recognize the hand that held the brush.
A composer may write hundreds of melodies.
Yet after a few notes, we know who is speaking.
Why should writing be any different?
Perhaps originality is not the absence of repetition.
Perhaps originality is the honesty of returning to what continues asking for our attention.
We often speak about finding our voice as though it were hidden somewhere, waiting to be discovered.
I no longer believe that.
I think our voice has been with us all along.
It simply takes years to stop imitating everyone else long enough to hear it.
When I began writing, I thought my task was to sound like a writer.
Now I hope only to sound like myself.
That change has made all the difference.
The recurring themes in my work are not there because I planned them.
They are there because life keeps introducing me to the same questions from different directions.
What does it mean to survive?
What remains after silence?
Can tenderness exist alongside grief?
How do we carry memory without allowing it to carry us?
I have not finished answering those questions.
Perhaps I never will.
That is why I continue writing.
Each poem.
Each essay.
Each fragment.
They are not separate conversations.
They are different attempts to look at the same horizon.
Readers sometimes notice these patterns before writers do.
They point out recurring images.
Repeated symbols.
Familiar emotions.
What they are really seeing are fingerprints.
Evidence that the work came from the same pair of hands.
I no longer wish to erase those traces.
If anything, I hope they become clearer.
Not because I want every piece I write to sound the same.
But because I want every piece to carry the quiet honesty of the person who wrote it.
There is a strange pressure placed upon artists to constantly reinvent themselves.
Growth is important.
Experiment is important.
But growth does not require abandoning the questions that shaped us.
Sometimes growing simply means asking those same questions with greater compassion.
A tree grows new branches every year.
It does not become ashamed of its roots.
Perhaps writers are no different.
Our subjects may expand.
Our language may deepen.
Our understanding may become gentler.
Yet somewhere beneath every new page lives the same heart that began writing long ago.
If you are a writer and you find yourself returning to familiar themes, do not rush to escape them.
Listen.
They may not be limitations.
They may be invitations.
The stories that insist on returning are often the stories that still have something to teach us.
Your fingerprints are not flaws in your work.
They are proof that it belongs to you.
Long after readers forget the details of a plot or the shape of a sentence, they will remember something far more important.
They will remember the feeling of having spent time in your company.
And perhaps that is what a writer's voice truly is.
Not a style.
Not a technique.
But the unmistakable impression left behind by a human soul that dared to speak honestly.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️

Comments
Post a Comment