6. The Weight of Invisible Battles
There is a peculiar habit we have as human beings.
We believe what we can see.
A broken bone earns sympathy because an X-ray can prove it.
A cast tells a story without needing words.
A scar announces that something happened here.
Invisible battles are different.
They leave no obvious evidence.
No photograph captures the effort it took to get out of bed.
No medical image reveals the conversation someone had with themselves before answering a simple phone call.
No stranger passing on the street can measure the weight another person has carried all day.
And yet, some of the heaviest burdens are the ones no one else ever notices.
We are surrounded by invisible battles.
The parent quietly grieving while making breakfast for their children.
The student smiling through an anxiety they cannot explain.
The person living with chronic pain who has become so accustomed to saying, "I'm okay," that even they have begun to question what okay feels like.
The friend who keeps making everyone laugh because silence would reveal too much.
The stranger standing beside us in line, wondering how they will survive another month.
We rarely know the stories people are carrying.
Perhaps that is why kindness matters so much.
Not because everyone is suffering in the same way.
But because everyone is carrying something we cannot fully see.
There was a time when I believed my invisible battles made me weak.
If no one else understood them, perhaps they weren't real.
If I could still function, perhaps I wasn't struggling enough to deserve compassion.
These are cruel conclusions.
Not because they are uncommon.
Because they are untrue.
Pain does not become legitimate only when it becomes visible.
It does not need witnesses to exist.
The quietest struggles are often the ones that demand the greatest strength.
Not dramatic strength.
Not the kind celebrated in films or speeches.
The quieter kind.
The strength required to keep showing up.
To keep loving.
To keep believing that tomorrow deserves another chance.
To keep choosing life even on days when life feels impossibly heavy.
We seldom celebrate those victories.
Perhaps because they leave no trophies behind.
Only another ordinary day that someone worked extraordinarily hard to reach.
I think we would understand one another differently if we remembered this more often.
Imagine how many conversations would become gentler if we assumed that the person across from us was carrying a burden we simply could not see.
Imagine how many judgments would become questions.
How many assumptions would become compassion.
How many strangers would feel a little less alone.
Invisible battles have changed the way I look at people.
Now, when someone seems distant, impatient, or unusually quiet, I try to remember that I am seeing only one page of a much longer story.
Sometimes the kindest thing we can offer is not advice.
It is space.
Space for someone to breathe without explanation.
Space to be tired without apology.
Space to exist without first proving the legitimacy of their pain.
Perhaps that is what compassion truly is.
Not fixing another person's wounds.
But refusing to pretend they do not exist simply because we cannot see them.
If you are carrying an invisible battle today, I hope you remember this:
You are not required to make your pain visible before it deserves care.
You do not have to collapse before you are allowed to rest.
You do not have to justify your exhaustion.
Your struggle is not measured by how convincing it appears to other people.
It is measured only by the courage it asks of you each day.
And if you happen to meet someone today whose burden you cannot see, be gentle.
You may never know what they overcame simply to stand before you.
There are battles that never make the news.
Victories that are never applauded.
Acts of courage that pass unnoticed by the world.
But they are no less real.
Sometimes the strongest people are not the ones who appear fearless.
They are the ones quietly carrying what no one else can see, while still finding enough kindness to make another person's day a little lighter.
Perhaps that is the greatest quiet defiance of all.
To carry invisible weight…
…and still choose not to become heavy in someone else's hands.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️
Comments
Post a Comment