3. Why Trauma Doesn't End When the Event Ends

 People often imagine trauma as a single moment.

An accident.

A loss.

A war.

A night that changed everything.

In stories, there is usually a clear beginning and an ending. The event happens, the dust settles, and life slowly returns to what it once was.

Real life is rarely so generous.

Trauma has a peculiar relationship with time.

The event may last minutes, hours, or days, yet its echoes can continue for years. The body remembers places the mind wishes it could forget. A familiar sound can awaken a fear that has been asleep for months. A scent, a hallway, a certain time of day, even the turning of a doorknob can suddenly return you to a place you thought you had already left.

From the outside, nothing is happening.

From the inside, everything is happening again.

That is one of the loneliest parts of trauma.

The world measures time with calendars.

Trauma measures it with reminders.

People sometimes ask, "Why can't you move on?"

It is usually an honest question.

But healing is not a decision we make one morning. We cannot simply convince our nervous system that danger belongs only to the past. Survival teaches lessons that are difficult to unlearn. When the body has spent enough time preparing for catastrophe, peace can begin to feel unfamiliar.

There were days when I questioned myself.

Why am I still reacting?

Why does my heart race when there is no danger?

Why do ordinary moments feel so heavy?

Those questions often carried more guilt than curiosity.

I thought something inside me was refusing to heal.

It took time to understand that I was not failing.

I was carrying experiences that had changed the way my mind and body understood the world.

That realization did not erase the struggle.

But it replaced shame with compassion.

There is an important difference between remembering something and reliving it.

A memory belongs to the past.

Reliving belongs to the present.

Trauma often blurs that line.

The body does not always recognize that the danger has ended. It responds as though the past has quietly entered the room once again. That is why healing asks for patience instead of perfection. It asks us to meet ourselves with the same kindness we would offer someone else who is frightened.

This is not weakness.

It is not failure.

It is the remarkable, exhausting effort of a human being who survived something significant enough to change the way safety is experienced.

We rarely speak about that effort.

We celebrate visible victories.

We applaud dramatic recoveries.

Yet there are quieter forms of courage that deserve just as much recognition.

Getting out of bed.

Answering a phone call.

Walking into a crowded room.

Opening a door without knowing what waits on the other side.

To someone else, these may seem ordinary.

To someone carrying trauma, they can be acts of extraordinary bravery.

I no longer believe healing means forgetting.

I think it means learning that the past does not deserve to write every chapter that follows.

Some chapters will always be difficult.

Some memories will always remain tender.

But little by little, life begins to include moments that trauma did not author.

A conversation.

A friendship.

A sunrise.

A page filled with words that once felt impossible to write.

Perhaps healing is not the disappearance of pain.

Perhaps it is the quiet discovery that pain is no longer the only voice left inside us.

If you are living with trauma, I hope you will be patient with yourself.

Not because the journey is easy.

But because surviving something difficult is not the end of your story.

It is only one chapter.

You deserve the chance to write the ones that come next.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning