15. Broken Things Can Still Be Carried Gently
We are taught to be careful with broken things.
A cracked glass.
A damaged photograph.
An old book whose pages have begun to separate from its spine.
We handle them differently.
More slowly.
With both hands.
We understand, instinctively, that some things require gentleness.
I have often wondered why we forget to offer that same care to people.
Perhaps because brokenness is more complicated when it breathes.
It speaks.
It smiles.
It continues going to work.
It answers questions.
It says, "I'm fine."
We are more comfortable with visible damage.
A broken arm tells us where to be careful.
A broken heart rarely offers instructions.
For a long time, I believed being broken meant becoming less valuable.
As though damage changed the worth of the thing that had been damaged.
I think many people quietly believe this about themselves.
They look at their past.
Their mistakes.
Their scars.
The parts of their lives they wish they could erase.
And they decide that whatever existed before the damage is gone forever.
Perhaps it is.
Perhaps we are not meant to return to who we were.
There is a strange cruelty in the way we speak about healing.
We often imagine it as restoration.
As though the goal is to become exactly who we were before everything happened.
But life does not always work that way.
Some things cannot be returned to their original shape.
That does not mean they cannot still be held.
I think of old books.
The ones with folded corners and handwritten notes in the margins.
The covers softened by years of being carried.
They are not less meaningful because they have been used.
Sometimes the evidence of having been touched is precisely what makes them precious.
I am careful with that comparison.
I do not think suffering makes people beautiful.
Pain is not a decoration.
Trauma is not a gift.
Brokenness should never be romanticized.
But I do believe that damage does not automatically remove our right to tenderness.
That distinction matters.
We do not have to be grateful for what hurt us in order to deserve kindness afterward.
We do not have to find a lesson in every wound.
We do not have to turn every painful experience into a beautiful story before we are allowed to rest.
Sometimes something hurts.
Sometimes we are changed by it.
And sometimes the most honest thing we can do is admit that we are still learning how to carry the person we became.
There is a particular kind of loneliness in believing you are difficult to hold.
You begin apologizing before anyone has asked you to.
You make yourself smaller.
You hide the complicated parts.
You become fluent in saying,
"Don't worry about me."
Even when you desperately wish someone would.
But perhaps being carried gently does not mean being carried forever.
Perhaps it simply means being met with care while we learn to stand again.
A friend who waits.
A stranger who listens.
A person who does not make us feel ashamed of the weight we bring into the room.
These moments can change us.
Not because someone saves us.
Because, for a moment, we are reminded that we do not have to treat ourselves as if we are made entirely of damage.
I am still learning this.
Some days, I look at the parts of myself I dislike and see only what is broken.
Other days, I can look more carefully.
I can see the effort.
The survival.
The person who kept trying to become gentle in a world that had given him many reasons not to.
Maybe that is what it means to carry ourselves gently.
Not to deny the damage.
Not to pretend the cracks are not there.
But to stop treating ourselves as though we deserve punishment for having been hurt.
There is a difference between being broken and being beyond care.
I have never believed those are the same thing.
If you are carrying parts of yourself you consider damaged, I hope you remember this:
You do not need to become untouched in order to be worthy of tenderness.
You do not need to return to who you were.
You are allowed to become someone new.
Someone marked by what happened.
Someone still learning.
Someone carrying cracks that may never completely disappear.
And if you cannot carry yourself gently today...
perhaps let someone else try.
Not forever.
Just for a moment.
Long enough to remember that broken things can still be carried with care.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️
Comments
Post a Comment