21. Dear John...!

Dear John,

I have spent a long time wondering what I would say to you if I ever had the chance.

For years, I imagined arriving with answers.

I imagined telling you exactly how everything would unfold.

Who you would become.

Which dreams would survive.

Which people would stay.

Which wounds would finally stop hurting.

I can't do that.

Life has never been generous with certainty.

Instead, I can offer something I wish someone had given you long ago.

The truth.

The truth is that you will spend too much time believing you have to earn the right to exist.

You will apologize for taking up space.

You will mistake silence for safety.

You will become so good at carrying pain quietly that people will assume it weighs nothing at all.

It does.

You will meet people who misunderstand you.

People who leave.

People who promise more than they are able to give.

Do not let their limitations become your reflection.

You are not difficult to love simply because someone failed to love you well.

There will be days when your own mind becomes a frightening place.

Days when getting through the next hour feels larger than any dream you have ever carried.

On those days...

Please do not measure your worth by your ability to appear strong.

Strength has never been your greatest gift.

Your greatest gift has always been that, somehow, after everything, you remained capable of tenderness.

Protect that.

The world will often tell you that softness is dangerous.

It will encourage you to become harder.

More distant.

Less trusting.

There will be moments when that sounds like wisdom.

It isn't.

Never confuse numbness with peace.

You will write.

At first, because you do not know what else to do.

Later, because writing becomes the place where your silence finally learns how to breathe.

Do not worry about perfection.

Do not worry about whether anyone understands every page.

Write honestly.

That will always matter more.

One day, you will hold your own book.

You have imagined this moment so many times that it almost feels impossible to believe.

When it finally happens, do not think of it as proof that you survived.

Think of it as proof that your voice survived.

There is a difference.

People will read your words without knowing every battle behind them.

That is all right.

A book is not meant to explain an entire life.

It is only meant to leave the door open long enough for another person to step inside.

Trust your readers.

They will find what they need.

I know you often wonder whether you are falling behind.

You compare your life to other people's milestones.

Their careers.

Their certainty.

Their ordinary happiness.

Please stop.

You have been carrying things many of them have never had to carry.

Comparison has no language for invisible weight.

Be patient with yourself.

You have survived days that asked more of you than anyone else could see.

I also need to tell you something you will struggle to believe.

You do not have to become extraordinary in order for your life to matter.

You already matter.

Not because of your accomplishments.

Not because of the books.

Not because of the words.

Because you are a human being.

That should have been enough from the very beginning.

There will be people who save pieces of your life without ever realizing it.

Remember them.

And when you can...

Become that person for someone else.

Not because you owe the world repayment.

Because kindness multiplies in ways we rarely witness.

As for the future...

I know you want me to tell you that everything will become easy.

I cannot.

But I can tell you this.

You will continue becoming.

You will continue asking difficult questions.

You will continue discovering that courage often whispers instead of shouting.

And one day, you will understand something that has taken us years to learn.

Healing is not becoming someone else.

It is slowly making peace with the person who stayed.

So if you ever begin doubting yourself again...

Read this letter.

Not because it contains answers.

But because it contains something even more important.

Compassion.

The kind you spent years offering everyone except yourself.

You deserve it too.

Always have.

Always will.

With hope,

Jean

The man you are still becoming.

Thank you for giving our silence a place to land.

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. 🕊️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning