14. Quiet Defiance

 We often imagine defiance as something loud.

A raised voice.

A fist against a table.

A door slammed with enough force to make the walls remember it.

We recognize rebellion when it announces itself.

But not all defiance makes a sound.

Some of it is quiet.

Some of it wakes up exhausted and gets out of bed anyway.

Some of it opens a blank page.

Some of it answers a message.

Some of it chooses kindness after the world has provided enough reasons to become cruel.

I have come to believe that quiet defiance is one of the most overlooked forms of courage.

There is nothing dramatic about it.

No audience gathers.

No one applauds.

Often, no one even knows it happened.

But the person living it knows.

They know what it took to remain.

There are days when survival does not feel heroic.

It feels repetitive.

Wake up.

Breathe.

Continue.

Repeat.

The world rarely understands the courage hidden inside repetition.

We prefer transformation.

We want the dramatic before and after.

The person who was broken, then suddenly became whole.

The darkness, followed by a perfect sunrise.

But some lives do not move in straight lines.

Some days are simply another negotiation with the weight of existing.

And on those days, continuing is not a small thing.

It is a decision.

A quiet one.

Sometimes defiance means refusing to become the worst thing that happened to you.

It means choosing tenderness when bitterness would be easier.

It means allowing yourself to remain capable of love after disappointment has taught you to expect less.

It means writing about pain without allowing pain to become your entire identity.

I think we underestimate how much strength it takes to remain soft.

The world often rewards hardness.

It tells us to stop caring.

To become unreachable.

To protect ourselves by needing no one.

There are moments when that sounds incredibly appealing.

But I have never wanted to become someone who survives by making other people feel the same loneliness I once knew.

Perhaps that is my own quiet defiance.

Not that I have defeated every darkness.

I haven't.

Not that I have discovered some secret to living without fear.

I haven't.

But I am still here.

Still writing.

Still capable of being moved by a kind word.

Still interested in the fragile things people do for one another when no one is watching.

That has to mean something.

We are taught to measure victory by what we overcome.

I wonder if we should sometimes measure it by what we refuse to become.

The cruelty we did not return.

The love we did not abandon.

The hope we did not completely destroy.

The parts of ourselves we protected, even when protecting them felt exhausting.

These are not victories that make headlines.

They do not fit neatly into speeches.

They are too quiet for that.

But they are real.

And perhaps the most honest form of courage is not declaring,

"Nothing can hurt me."

Perhaps it is saying,

"I have been hurt, and I am still deciding what kind of person I want to be."

That decision may need to be made more than once.

Some mornings, it may need to be made before breakfast.

Some nights, it may need to be made again.

There is no shame in repetition.

A choice does not become less meaningful simply because we have had to make it before.

Perhaps that is the secret of quiet defiance.

It is not one grand act.

It is a thousand small refusals.

I refuse to disappear completely.

I refuse to believe that pain is the only truth.

I refuse to let the worst days define every day that follows.

I refuse to become incapable of tenderness.

I refuse to stop writing.

And if tomorrow asks me to make those choices again...

I will try.

Not perfectly.

Not bravely every time.

But honestly.

Because sometimes surviving is not a grand battle.

Sometimes staying—while shattered, while trembling, while exhausted—is the quietest form of defiance.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning