23. What Comes After Survival?

For a long time, survival was the only plan I had.

Not next year.

Not next month.

Sometimes not even tomorrow.

Just today.

Just this hour.

Just the next breath.

When your life becomes organized around surviving, you stop asking certain questions.

You stop wondering what your dream house looks like.

What retirement might feel like.

Where you hope to travel.

What kind of old person you want to become.

Those questions belong to people who believe the future is waiting for them.

Survival narrows the world.

It teaches you to think in smaller units of time.

One morning.

One conversation.

One heartbeat.

There is wisdom in that.

But there is also loss.

Because one day, if you remain long enough, another question quietly appears.

What comes after survival?

I don't think enough people talk about this.

We celebrate survival, as we should.

It deserves celebration.

But surviving something does not automatically teach us how to live afterward.

No one hands us a map.

No one explains how to replace constant vigilance with ordinary living.

How to stop scanning every room for danger.

How to make plans that extend beyond the next difficult day.

How to believe the future belongs to us, too.

Perhaps that is because survival changes more than our circumstances.

It changes our imagination.

When you have spent years preparing for the worst, hope can feel unfamiliar.

Not impossible.

Just unfamiliar.

I have discovered that hope is not always exciting.

Sometimes it is deeply uncomfortable.

It asks us to picture a tomorrow we no longer know how to imagine.

That can feel frightening.

For so long, my energy belonged to enduring.

To getting through.

To carrying what felt impossible to carry.

I became fluent in surviving.

But living...

Living is another language entirely.

Living asks different questions.

What brings you joy?

Who makes you laugh?

What kind of mornings do you hope for?

What do you want to create now that you are no longer spending every moment trying not to disappear?

I still struggle to answer those questions.

Not because I don't want to.

Because I am still learning their vocabulary.

Perhaps that is all right.

Perhaps no one becomes fluent in living overnight.

Perhaps life is learned the same way kindness is learned.

Slowly.

Imperfectly.

One ordinary day at a time.

I have begun noticing small things.

The taste of coffee when I am not rushing.

A conversation that wanders without needing a destination.

A page written simply because I wanted to write it, not because I needed to survive the afternoon.

These moments would have seemed insignificant once.

Now they feel quietly revolutionary.

They remind me that life is not only built from dramatic victories.

It is built from ordinary days that ask nothing spectacular of us.

I used to believe that surviving meant waiting for the moment everything would finally make sense.

Now I wonder if life has never asked that of us.

Maybe it has only asked us to remain curious.

To notice.

To keep making room for beauty, even when beauty arrives quietly.

There is another thing survival rarely teaches.

Permission.

Permission to rest.

Permission to dream.

Permission to become someone whose identity is larger than what happened to them.

I carried my wounds for so long that I sometimes forgot they were only part of my story.

Not the whole story.

Never the whole story.

There are still books I want to write.

Conversations I hope to have.

Languages I want my words to live in.

Readers I have not yet met.

People I will never know whose lives may one day cross mine through a sentence.

That thought fills me with something I once believed had disappeared.

Possibility.

Not certainty.

Not guarantees.

Just possibility.

And perhaps that is enough.

Perhaps the future does not begin when we stop hurting.

Perhaps it begins the first time we allow ourselves to imagine something beyond our pain.

Even if that imagination lasts only a few seconds.

Even if we have to begin again tomorrow.

I no longer think survival is the destination.

It was the bridge.

A difficult one.

A lonely one.

A bridge I never expected to cross.

But bridges are not built for us to live on forever.

They exist to carry us toward something else.

I do not know exactly what waits for me on the other side.

No one does.

But I know this.

If survival taught me how precious a single breath can be...

Then perhaps living will teach me what to do with all the breaths that follow.

And maybe that is enough for today.

Not to have every answer.

Not to know every destination.

Only to remain open to the possibility that life still has chapters I have not yet imagined.

That thought no longer frightens me.

It quietly invites me forward.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

 If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning