11. The Difference Between Writing and Healing

 People sometimes tell me,

"Writing must have healed you."

I understand why they say it.

We like stories where art becomes a cure.

Where the final page closes, the pain quietly leaves the room, and the writer walks away transformed.

It is a comforting idea.

It is also a dangerous one.

Writing did many things for me.

It gave shape to thoughts that had nowhere else to exist.

It turned silence into language.

It allowed fear, grief, memory, and hope to occupy the same page without asking any of them to disappear.

For that, I will always be grateful.

But writing did not heal me.

Healing asks different things of us.

A poem can hold sorrow.

It cannot prescribe medication.

An essay can describe panic.

It cannot slow a racing heart.

A journal can remember yesterday.

It cannot promise tomorrow.

There is a quiet temptation to ask too much of art.

To believe that if we write honestly enough, beautifully enough, or often enough, we will eventually arrive at a version of ourselves untouched by what came before.

I no longer believe that.

Writing never asked me to become someone else.

It simply asked me to become more honest about who I already was.

There were days when I wrote pages that felt true.

The next morning, I still had to face the same life.

The same appointments.

The same difficult conversations.

The same uncertainty.

The page had not failed me.

It had simply done what pages can do.

No more.

No less.

For a long time, I mistook expression for resolution.

If I could finally describe a feeling, perhaps I believed I had also conquered it.

Life gently corrected me.

Understanding pain is not the same as no longer carrying it.

Naming a wound is not the same as watching it heal.

Both matter.

Neither replaces the other.

Perhaps healing is less dramatic than we imagine.

Perhaps it is not the disappearance of struggle, but the slow rebuilding of trust.

Trust in our bodies.

Trust in other people.

Trust that tomorrow deserves our curiosity, even when today feels unbearably heavy.

Writing accompanied me through that journey.

It never claimed to lead it.

I think that is why I continue to love words.

They have always known their place.

A poem has never looked at me and said,

"I will save you."

Instead, it has quietly whispered,

"Sit with me for a while."

There is wisdom in that kind of humility.

Some companions are valuable not because they carry our burdens for us, but because they refuse to let us carry them entirely alone.

Writing became one of those companions.

It remained beside me on days when language felt impossible.

It welcomed me back after long silences.

It never asked whether I had made enough progress to deserve another blank page.

It simply waited.

Patiently.

Faithfully.

Without judgment.

Looking back, I realize that writing and healing were never competing with one another.

They were walking beside each other.

Sometimes one moved faster.

Sometimes the other paused.

There were seasons when I wrote more than I healed.

There were seasons when I healed in ways that never became words.

Both belonged to the same life.

I think we do ourselves a kindness when we stop asking any one thing to become everything.

A book cannot replace a friend.

A poem cannot replace care.

An essay cannot replace the people who patiently walk beside us when the road grows difficult.

And yet...

None of those truths diminish what writing has given me.

Because there were days when the page became the quiet bridge between surviving the morning and reaching the evening.

Not because it cured anything.

Because it reminded me that my inner life still deserved a voice.

Perhaps that is all writing has ever promised.

Not healing.

Presence.

A place where our experiences are witnessed without interruption.

A place where silence becomes visible.

A place where we remember that even unfinished lives are worthy of being written.

I still write.

Not because I have reached the end of the journey.

Not because every wound has become a scar.

I write because the page continues to offer something precious.

Not an escape from life.

But a way of remaining fully present within it.

And sometimes...

Remaining is its own quiet form of healing.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

 If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning