The Person I Had To Become To Stay Alive!

There are two versions of me.

The one people met.

And the one who learned, very early in life, that survival sometimes means becoming someone else.

No child should have to learn how to disappear while remaining visible.

Yet that was the lesson I carried for years.

I became quiet because speaking felt dangerous.

I became observant because noticing every change in a room sometimes meant protecting myself before anyone else realized something was wrong.

I learned how to smile when I wanted to cry, how to answer "I'm fine" without believing it, and how to continue moving through ordinary days while carrying extraordinary pain.

People often call these strengths.

Resilience.

Composure.

Maturity beyond one's years.

I understand why they say those things.

From the outside, survival can look admirable.

From the inside, it often feels exhausting.

There is a difference between living and surviving.

Living allows you to imagine tomorrow.

Surviving asks only that you make it through today.

For a long time, today was all I could manage.

I measured time differently than most people.

Not by birthdays or holidays.

By panic attacks that eventually ended.

By nights I somehow survived.

By mornings when opening my eyes felt like a victory I had not asked to earn.

The strange thing about becoming a survivor is that eventually you forget who you were before survival became your identity.

You become the reliable one.

The quiet one.

The strong one.

The one who can endure almost anything.

People admire endurance because they rarely see its cost.

Endurance often asks you to sacrifice softness.

It convinces you that vulnerability is a luxury you cannot afford.

So I adapted.

I learned to anticipate danger before it arrived.

I apologized for taking up space.

I believed asking for help made me a burden.

When I finally did ask, I often found silence waiting for me.

After enough unanswered requests, something changes inside a person.

You stop expecting people to answer.

You begin preparing yourself for disappointment before hope has a chance to exist.

That may be one of trauma's quietest victories.

It teaches you not only to fear pain, but also to distrust kindness.

For a long time, I believed this was simply who I was.

Not someone shaped by experience.

Just someone broken.

Writing challenged that belief.

When I first sat in front of a blank page, I wasn't searching for healing.

I wasn't searching for readers.

I was searching for somewhere to place thoughts that had nowhere else to go.

The page never asked me to justify my emotions.

It never told me I was too much.

It never looked uncomfortable when the truth became difficult.

It simply waited.

Sentence after sentence, I began meeting parts of myself that had remained hidden beneath years of survival.

The frightened child.

The exhausted adult.

The hopeful person I thought had disappeared forever.

Writing did not erase what happened to me.

It did something more honest.

It reminded me that what happened to me was not the whole of who I am.

There is a dangerous misconception that surviving trauma automatically makes someone stronger.

Sometimes it simply makes them tired.

Sometimes strength is nothing more than refusing to disappear despite wanting to.

Sometimes courage is answering another email, attending another appointment, writing another page, or believing that tomorrow might be different even when yesterday wasn't.

I still carry the past with me.

There are days when memories return without invitation.

Days when my body remembers things my mind wishes it could forget.

Days when hope feels impossibly small.

But there are also days when I recognize something else.

The person I had to become to stay alive is not the only person I am allowed to be.

That realization has changed everything.

I can still be cautious without surrendering curiosity.

I can acknowledge pain without allowing it to define every sentence of my life.

I can carry scars without believing they are my only identity.

Most importantly, I can write.

Not because writing fixes broken things.

But because writing reminds me that broken things still have stories worth telling.

For years, survival was the only language I knew.

Now I am slowly learning another language.

One built from honesty.

Connection.

Compassion.

Hope.

It is a language I am still learning to speak.

Perhaps I always will be.

But every page I write teaches me one new word.

Every poem reminds me that silence is no longer my only home.

Every essay becomes another step away from the person I had to become simply to survive.

I do not know exactly who I am becoming.

Maybe none of us ever truly do.

I only know this:

The person who carried me through the darkest years deserves gratitude.

But the person I hope to become deserves a chance to live.

 — Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning