8. Beautiful Words Cannot Hide Broken Hearts

People often mistake beauty for honesty.

They are not the same thing.

A sentence can be breathtaking and still keep its distance.

A poem can rhyme perfectly while quietly avoiding the one truth it was written to protect.

I know this because I have done it.

Some of the earliest poems I wrote were carefully measured.

Every line found its rhythm.

Every verse knew exactly where it belonged.

The words arrived dressed in elegance, speaking of love, faith, hope, and longing with a confidence I often did not feel.

Looking back, I understand why.

Structure gave me something life could not.

Control.

When the world inside me felt impossible to organize, a poem could still obey its own rules.

Every rhyme became a promise that something, somewhere, still made sense.

There is comfort in that.

There is also danger.

Not because beautiful writing is dishonest.

But because beauty can become an excellent hiding place.

The more polished the language became, the easier it was to convince myself that I had already said enough.

Readers admired the craftsmanship.

The rhythm.

The imagery.

Meanwhile, the deepest truths remained quietly untouched, waiting behind the very words meant to reveal them.

I don't think I was lying.

I think I was surviving.

There is a difference.

Sometimes we tell the truth in the only language we can bear.

Sometimes that language arrives wrapped in metaphor because reality itself is still too sharp to hold directly.

Sometimes a carefully written sonnet is simply another way of saying,

"I am not ready yet."

There should be no shame in that.

Every writer begins somewhere.

Every heart reveals itself according to its own courage.

The mistake is believing that polish is the destination.

It isn't.

At some point, I stopped asking whether a sentence sounded beautiful.

I began asking a different question.

Is it true?

That single question changed everything.

Some poems became shorter.

Others abandoned rhyme altogether.

The language grew quieter.

Less interested in impressing.

More willing to remain unfinished.

I discovered that honesty often arrives wearing ordinary clothes.

It rarely announces itself with perfect metaphors.

It usually enters the room softly, carrying a sentence so simple it almost feels frightening.

"I was afraid."

"I missed you."

"I don't know how to keep carrying this."

Those sentences ask more of us than any elaborate verse ever could.

Because they leave us with nowhere to hide.

As writers, we are often taught to pursue beauty.

To search for the perfect phrase.

The unforgettable image.

The sentence readers will underline.

These are worthy ambitions.

But I have come to believe that beauty is not what makes writing endure.

Truth is.

Beauty may invite someone to stop reading for a moment.

Truth invites them to remember your words years later.

When I think about the pages that matter most to me now, they are not always the most carefully written.

They are the ones where I finally stopped trying to sound like a writer and allowed myself to sound like a human being.

Perhaps that is the quiet journey every artist must make.

From performance…

to presence.

From elegance…

to honesty.

From writing that asks to be admired…

to writing that simply asks to be believed.

Beautiful words have their place.

They can comfort us.

Inspire us.

Lift us toward something larger than ourselves.

But eventually, every writer must decide whether beauty is meant to decorate the truth…

or reveal it.

I still love beautiful language.

I always will.

But I no longer ask my words to protect me.

I ask them to tell the truth.

Even when the truth arrives without poetry.

Even when it trembles.

Even when it breaks the sentence before it finishes.

Because beautiful words may move the eye.

But honest words reach the heart.

And no amount of beauty can hide a heart that is finally ready to be seen.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning