10. Writing While Still in Treatment
There is a certain kind of story the world prefers.
The one where suffering has already ended.
The one where every wound has become a scar.
The one where the person speaking can stand comfortably at the finish line and explain how they found their way there.
Those stories matter.
They offer perspective.
They remind us that healing is possible.
But they are not the only stories worth telling.
Some stories are written before the ending is known.
Some are written while the questions still outnumber the answers.
Some are written in waiting rooms, between difficult days, during long nights when tomorrow has not yet decided what it will become.
This is one of those stories.
I have often wondered whether I should wait until I am completely healed before writing about my life.
Wouldn't it make more sense?
Wouldn't the pages feel wiser if I could explain everything from a safe distance?
Perhaps.
But there is another kind of honesty that only exists in the middle of the journey.
It does not have the clarity of hindsight.
It has the humility of uncertainty.
It is willing to say,
"I don't know yet."
Those four words may be among the most truthful a writer can offer.
There is pressure to become an example.
To turn survival into a lesson.
To transform pain into something tidy enough that others can comfortably understand it.
Life is rarely that orderly.
Some mornings I wake with more questions than I had the night before.
Some days feel lighter.
Others ask me to begin again.
Neither cancels the other.
Both belong to the same life.
Writing while still in treatment means accepting that today's truth may grow tomorrow.
It means allowing a page to be honest without demanding that it be final.
I have learned not to mistake unfinished for unworthy.
A sentence does not need to conclude a life in order to matter.
Sometimes it only needs to tell the truth about today.
That is enough.
There is a quiet freedom in admitting that I am still learning myself.
Still discovering what healing asks of me.
Still finding language for experiences that refuse to fit neatly inside language.
Perhaps writing is not a record of certainty.
Perhaps it is a record of attention.
An honest account of what it feels like to inhabit this particular day.
I no longer believe that writers must become experts in their own suffering before they are allowed to speak.
We do not ask musicians to stop composing until they have lived every song.
We do not ask painters to wait until they have understood every colour.
Why should writers wait until life becomes simple?
Some of the most meaningful pages are written by people who are still becoming.
Not because they have mastered life.
But because they are willing to witness it honestly.
That honesty comes with responsibility.
Writing is not treatment.
A page cannot replace the people who help us carry what we cannot carry alone.
Words have sustained me in many ways, but they have never asked to become everything.
I am grateful that they do not.
They have simply given me somewhere to place what I was living while I continued taking the next step.
When readers ask whether my work is autobiographical, I sometimes think they are asking a different question.
They are asking whether these pages are true.
The answer is yes.
Not because every detail belongs to my life.
But because every emotion does.
I did not write from the safety of having everything figured out.
I wrote from the reality of continuing.
And perhaps that is what this book truly is.
Not the story of someone who escaped every darkness.
Not the testimony of someone who reached a perfect ending.
But the journal of a human being who kept writing while life was still unfolding.
If these words carry any hope, it is not because they promise certainty.
It is because they remind us that a life does not need to be complete before it deserves to be shared.
Sometimes the most courageous sentence is not,
"I made it."
Sometimes it is simply,
"I am still here."
And for today...
that is enough.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️

Comments
Post a Comment