12. Becoming What You Once Needed
There comes a quiet moment in many lives when we begin offering other people the very things we once searched for ourselves.
A kind word.
A patient ear.
A message that says,
"I'm thinking of you."
We give them freely.
Almost instinctively.
As though some forgotten part of us remembers exactly what it felt like to need them.
I have often wondered why.
Perhaps it is because our deepest needs never entirely leave us.
They simply change direction.
The child who longed to be understood grows into the adult who listens carefully.
The person who once felt invisible becomes the one who notices those standing quietly at the edge of the room.
The heart that spent years searching for kindness begins leaving small acts of it wherever it goes.
There is something profoundly beautiful about that.
Not because suffering is beautiful.
It isn't.
But because human beings possess an extraordinary ability to transform absence into generosity.
To become, for someone else, what they themselves once needed.
For a long time, I believed this meant I had healed.
If I could comfort another person, perhaps I no longer required comforting.
If I could offer hope, perhaps I had finally escaped hopelessness.
Life gently taught me otherwise.
Becoming what you once needed does not mean you no longer need it.
It simply means you have learned its value so deeply that you cannot help sharing it.
That realization changed the way I understood compassion.
I no longer saw it as evidence that I had finished my own journey.
I began seeing it as proof that I was still walking it.
Perhaps that is why genuine kindness rarely announces itself.
The people who know what loneliness feels like seldom make another person feel alone on purpose.
The people who remember what fear tastes like often recognize it long before anyone else notices.
The people who have spent years searching for light usually leave small lamps behind them without expecting recognition.
They remember.
And memory has a way of becoming mercy.
There is a quiet temptation to believe we must first become completely whole before we are allowed to care for others.
I no longer believe that.
Some of the gentlest people I have ever met were still carrying their own grief.
Some of the most encouraging voices were still learning how to encourage themselves.
Some of the warmest hearts still knew what it meant to wake up feeling cold inside.
Their kindness was not born from perfection.
It was born from recognition.
They knew.
Not because someone explained it.
Because they had lived it.
Of course, there is another truth we must remember.
Giving cannot become disappearing.
There is a difference between offering kindness and believing we must earn our worth by endlessly pouring ourselves into everyone else.
Compassion should never ask us to abandon ourselves.
The person we once needed is not only someone we can become for others.
It is someone we must sometimes become for ourselves.
To speak gently when our inner voice becomes cruel.
To forgive ourselves for not healing on someone else's timeline.
To rest without apologizing.
To admit we are tired.
To accept that needing support does not erase our ability to offer it.
Perhaps that is the quiet balance adulthood asks of us.
To extend one hand outward...
and keep the other close enough to steady our own heart.
When I look back now, I do not wish I had become stronger than the person I once was.
I hope I have become kinder.
Kinder toward other people.
Kinder toward the younger version of myself who was trying to survive with tools he did not yet have.
Kinder toward the person I still am today, still learning, still growing, still becoming.
Because becoming is not a destination.
It is a lifelong conversation.
Every act of compassion adds another sentence.
Every moment of understanding writes another page.
Every quiet kindness tells the child we once were,
"You deserved this all along."
Perhaps that is why we continue becoming what we once needed.
Not to rewrite the past.
Nothing can do that.
But to ensure that, somewhere in the world, another person receives what we once searched for in silence.
And if we are fortunate...
Perhaps we will remember that we are allowed to receive those same gifts ourselves.
After all, becoming what you once needed does not mean you have stopped needing it.
It simply means you have learned that kindness grows larger each time it is shared—
including with the person looking back at you in the mirror.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️
Comments
Post a Comment