19. Friendship Saved Me More Than Advice Ever Did

There were many moments in my life when people wanted to help.

Some offered solutions.

Some offered explanations.

Some searched for the right words, believing that if they could say the perfect sentence, everything would somehow become lighter.

I appreciated their intentions.

Kindness deserves gratitude, even when it cannot solve what hurts.

But when I look back at the people who truly changed something inside me, I notice a pattern.

Very few of them gave remarkable advice.

Most of them simply stayed.

They answered the message.

They listened without interrupting.

They allowed silence to exist without rushing to fill it.

They never made me feel as though I had to become easier to understand before they could care.

That is a rare gift.

We often think helping someone means finding the right answer.

Perhaps it begins somewhere much quieter.

Perhaps it begins by refusing to let another person carry their thoughts entirely alone.

I have received advice that was wise.

Some of it stayed with me.

Much of it faded.

But I still remember the friend who sat beside me without demanding conversation.

I still remember the person who said,

"You don't have to explain today."

I still remember the message that simply asked,

"How are you... really?"

Those moments did not solve my life.

They reminded me that my life still mattered to someone else.

There is a difference.

Advice speaks to the mind.

Friendship often reaches the heart first.

And sometimes the heart must feel safe before the mind can hear anything at all.

I think we underestimate the power of ordinary presence.

We celebrate grand gestures.

The dramatic rescue.

The perfect speech.

Yet most friendships are built through remarkably ordinary moments.

A shared coffee.

A late-night conversation.

A message sent without a special reason.

Remembering someone's birthday.

Noticing that they have become quieter than usual.

These moments seem small.

Until you are the person who needed them.

Then they become unforgettable.

Friendship is one of the few places where we are allowed to exist without constantly proving our worth.

A true friend does not ask us to perform recovery.

They do not expect us to become inspiring.

They do not require us to hide the complicated parts of ourselves so the conversation remains comfortable.

They make room.

Sometimes that room is all a person needs.

I have also learned that friendship is not measured by how often people speak.

It is measured by whether you can return after silence without feeling that you have become a burden.

Life pulls people in different directions.

Time passes.

Conversations pause.

Real friendship has a remarkable way of saying,

"You are still welcome here."

I think we remember advice because it is clever.

We remember friendship because it changed the way we felt about ourselves.

Someone believed we were worth waiting for.

Worth listening to.

Worth calling.

Worth checking on.

That kind of belief quietly reshapes a life.

It teaches us something that no lecture ever could.

That we are not only people with problems to solve.

We are people worthy of companionship.

Of laughter.

Of ordinary conversations about nothing in particular.

Of being remembered.

Of being missed.

Perhaps that is why friendship carries such quiet power.

It does not always arrive with answers.

Sometimes it arrives with sandwiches.

With bad jokes.

With a walk around the neighborhood.

With a message that says,

"I was thinking about you."

And somehow, those simple gestures become anchors.

Not because they erase suffering.

Because they remind us that suffering is not the only thing we carry.

We also carry one another.

That does not mean friendship replaces professional care.

Some burdens require the knowledge and support of those trained to help.

I have never believed we should ask our friends to become therapists.

Their role is different.

Equally human.

They remind us that beyond every diagnosis, every difficult season, every unanswered question, there is still a person who deserves to be known.

When I think about the people who have left the deepest marks on my life, I rarely remember their advice word for word.

I remember how I felt in their presence.

Less alone.

Less invisible.

More human.

Perhaps that is what friendship has always been.

Not the art of having the right answers.

The courage to remain beside someone while they search for their own.

And sometimes...

that quiet companionship carries us farther than advice ever could.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

Thank you for giving my silence a place to land.

 If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning