What I Hope Someone Finds Between My Lines
There is something I hope for whenever someone opens my book.
Not that they understand everything.
Not that they agree with every word.
Not even that they like every poem.
I hope they find something they were not expecting to find.
Maybe a sentence that makes them stop.
Maybe a page that feels strangely familiar.
Maybe a fragment that puts words around something they had carried for years without knowing how to name it.
Because when I wrote these pages, I was not thinking about readers.
I was thinking about surviving the page in front of me.
I was writing because there were things I could not say aloud. Things that became tangled when spoken, but somehow became clearer when written down.
And perhaps that is why I hope someone finds themselves somewhere between my lines.
Not because my life is the same as theirs.
It isn't.
Our wounds have different histories. Our memories have different rooms. What breaks one person may barely touch another. What saves one person may not save someone else.
But pain has a strange language.
Sometimes it crosses all those differences.
Sometimes someone can read a sentence written by a stranger and think:
I know this feeling.
That is what I hope my book can offer.
Not answers.
Recognition.
The quiet relief of discovering that a feeling you thought belonged only to you has existed somewhere else too.
I hope someone who has spent years hiding their fractures finds a little tenderness between the pages.
I hope someone who has become very good at saying I'm fine finds a place where they don't have to.
I hope someone who feels too complicated, too damaged, too tired, or too far behind discovers that a human being can contain contradictions and still be worthy of love.
I hope someone who has been told, directly or indirectly, to make their pain more beautiful finds permission to leave it ugly.
Because some things are not beautiful when they happen.
Trauma is not beautiful.
Panic is not beautiful.
Grief is not beautiful.
Loneliness is not beautiful.
But there can still be something human inside the telling of them.
And maybe that is what writing gave me.
Not a way to make suffering beautiful.
A way to make it visible.
There are pages in this book that return to the same places.
Silence.
Memory.
Fear.
Love.
Loss.
Childhood.
The body remembering what the mind wants to forget.
The strange exhaustion of continuing.
I left those repetitions there.
Because sometimes we do not move forward in straight lines.
Sometimes we circle the same wound.
Sometimes we think we have understood something, only to return to it months later and realize there is another layer underneath.
Sometimes surviving means beginning the same conversation with yourself again.
I wanted the book to remember that.
I did not want to manufacture a version of myself who had already figured everything out.
I wanted the person between these pages to remain human.
Still searching.
Still questioning.
Still remembering.
Still becoming.
And if someone finds that person there, perhaps they will understand something about themselves too.
Maybe they will find a sentence they want to underline.
Maybe they will find a poem they cannot finish reading in one sitting.
Maybe they will close the book for a while because something inside it came too close.
Maybe they will return later.
Maybe they will never tell me what they found.
That is okay.
Some of the most important things we find in books are the things we never explain to the person who wrote them.
A book can become a quiet meeting place between two strangers.
One person leaves words behind.
Another arrives carrying something of their own.
And somewhere between the two, something happens.
A recognition.
A pause.
A breath.
That is what I hope someone finds between my lines.
Not a perfect story.
Not a solution.
Not proof that everything becomes easy.
Just a small reminder that whatever they are carrying, they are not the first person to carry something heavy through an ordinary day.
And perhaps, for a moment, they will feel a little less alone.
If my words can give someone that moment, then the pages have travelled farther than I ever could have taken them myself.
I wrote so I would not fade.
But perhaps the quietest gift of writing is discovering that the words you once wrote to keep yourself here can become a small light in someone else's darkness.
And maybe that is enough.
Maybe a book does not have to save someone.
Maybe sometimes it only has to sit beside them.
Quietly.
Without asking them to explain.
Without asking them to be better.
Without asking them to hurry.
Just staying there.
Between the lines.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️
Comments
Post a Comment