A Book Doesn’t End When the Author Finishes Writing
There is a moment when an author writes the final sentence.
The cursor stops.
The page becomes still.
And for a moment, there is nothing left to add.
You have written the last word.
You have closed the document.
You have read the pages so many times that you can almost hear them without looking.
You think:
This is it.
The book is finished.
But I don't think a book really ends there.
Maybe that is only where the author's part begins to change.
For months, sometimes years, a book belongs almost entirely to the person writing it.
You wake up thinking about it.
You carry sentences around in your head.
You rewrite paragraphs.
You remove things.
You put them back.
You discover that a chapter you thought was about one thing was actually about something else.
You become attached to certain words.
You become tired of others.
You live inside the book long enough that it starts to feel less like something you are creating and more like somewhere you are living.
And then, eventually, you have to let it go.
That was one of the strangest parts of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade.
For so long, these words existed only in my world.
They were written in private moments.
They belonged to the page before they belonged anywhere else.
And then suddenly there was a cover.
A title.
A published book.
My name on it.
Something that had once been completely private could now be opened by someone I had never met.
That changes the meaning of a book.
Because once a reader opens it, the book is no longer only mine.
They bring their own memories to it.
Their own losses.
Their own questions.
Their own experiences with silence, love, fear, loneliness, tenderness, survival.
They may read a sentence and understand it differently from the way I intended it.
And that is not necessarily a failure of writing.
Perhaps it is one of the most beautiful things about literature.
A writer begins the conversation.
The reader continues it.
Sometimes the reader discovers something the writer never consciously put there.
Sometimes they find a sentence that means almost nothing to the author anymore, but means everything to them.
Sometimes they underline a page I nearly removed.
Sometimes they return to a poem years later and find a completely different person waiting inside it.
That is why I don't think a book ends when the author finishes writing.
It keeps changing through the people who read it.
It changes when someone talks about it.
When someone recommends it to a friend.
When someone sends a sentence to another person.
When someone closes the final page and sits quietly for a moment.
When someone recognizes themselves in a story that was never supposed to be theirs.
The book travels farther than the author can.
And perhaps that is the real life of a book.
Not the moment it is published.
Not the moment someone buys it.
Not even the moment someone reads it.
But the moments that happen afterward.
The private moments we never get to witness.
The reader lying awake with a sentence in their head.
The person who quietly returns to a particular poem.
The stranger who realizes they are not the only one who has felt something they could never explain.
Those moments belong to the reader.
And I think they should.
Because I did not write this book to control what someone finds inside it.
I wrote it because I needed somewhere for these words to exist.
Now they have somewhere else to go.
That is both terrifying and comforting.
There is also something strange about realizing that the person who wrote the first page is not exactly the person who finishes the book.
Writing changes us while we are doing it.
The book preserves versions of ourselves that we may have already outgrown.
It remembers what we thought.
What we feared.
What we wanted.
What we could not yet understand.
And years later, those pages can become a kind of time capsule.
Not because they contain a perfect record of who we were.
But because they prove that we were there.
That we felt something.
That we tried to make sense of it.
That we left something behind.
That is what this book became for me.
A record of a person trying to remain present inside his own life.
Not a finished portrait.
Not a declaration that everything is healed.
Not a promise that the future will be easy.
Just a collection of moments in which I chose to put something into words.
And maybe that is enough.
Maybe books do not need to solve us.
Maybe they only need to accompany us.
The writer writes.
The reader arrives.
Something passes between them.
And then the reader leaves with something that the writer may never know they received.
That is where the book continues.
Outside the pages.
Outside the author's hands.
In conversations.
In memories.
In marked passages.
In quiet recommendations.
In the strange intimacy of two people who have never met recognizing the same feeling in the same sentence.
That is why I don't want to call this the end.
It is the end of this little series.
It is the end of these seven conversations about the book.
But it is not the end of the book itself.
And it is certainly not the end of writing.
There are still pages I haven't written.
Stories I haven't understood yet.
Characters who haven't found their names.
Memories that haven't decided whether they want to become poems or remain silent.
There are books I have not imagined yet.
There are versions of myself I have not met yet.
So perhaps the final lesson of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade is not really about finishing.
It is about continuing.
A book can end.
A chapter can end.
A sentence can end.
But the person who wrote them continues.
The person who reads them continues.
And somewhere between those two lives, the words continue too.
I began this book because I needed somewhere to put the things I could not carry silently.
I finished it because eventually the pages had said what they needed to say.
And now I let them go.
Not because they no longer belong to me.
But because they can belong to someone else too.
If you have read these words, even one page, even one fragment, even one sentence, then you have already become part of the book's life.
You gave the words somewhere to land.
You gave the pages another set of eyes.
You allowed something that began in solitude to become a conversation.
And for that, I am grateful.
So this is not goodbye to the book.
It is simply goodbye to the version of the book that existed only inside me.
From here, it belongs to the world in whatever small way it can.
Maybe someone will read it today.
Maybe someone will discover it years from now.
Maybe a sentence will reach a person I will never meet.
Maybe a page will stay with someone longer than I ever intended.
I don't know.
And perhaps I don't need to know.
I wrote so I would not fade.
The words survived the silence.
The book found its way into the world.
And now, whatever happens next, happens beyond the final page.
Because a book doesn't end when the author finishes writing.
Sometimes—
that is when it finally begins.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai รcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. ๐️
Comments
Post a Comment