When a Private Page Becomes a Published Book

There is a strange moment that happens when something you wrote for yourself becomes a book.

You hold it in your hands.

And suddenly, something that once belonged entirely to you belongs to the world.

I don't think I was prepared for that.

When I first started writing, I wasn't thinking about publishing.

I wasn't thinking about readers.

I wasn't thinking about an author page, an ISBN, a paperback, an eBook, or seeing my name on a book cover.

I was thinking about getting through the day.

The page was private.

It was where I could say things without worrying about how they sounded.

Where I could write something terrible and leave it there.

Where I could write something beautiful and not wonder whether anyone else would understand it.

The page didn't need an audience.

It only needed honesty.

And then, somehow, the pages began becoming something else.

A collection.

A manuscript.

A book.

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade.

I remember how strange that title felt once it was no longer sitting inside my notebook or computer.

It had become real.

There was a cover.

There were pages.

There was my name.

There were words I had once written in isolation now sitting between two covers.

Someone else could open them.

Someone else could read the things I had written when nobody was watching.

That realization is both beautiful and terrifying.

Because there are things you can write privately that feel completely different once you know another person might read them.

A private sentence can feel safe.

A published sentence feels exposed.

Suddenly you wonder:

What will they think?

Will they understand what I meant?

Will they think I'm exaggerating?

Will they recognize themselves somewhere inside it?

Will they judge the person who wrote this?

And perhaps the most frightening question:

What if they see me?

Not the author photograph.

Not the biography.

Not the name on the cover.

Me.

The person who was sitting alone when these words were written.

The person behind the metaphors.

The person behind the fragments.

The person behind the poems about things that were sometimes too difficult to say aloud.

That is what happens when a private page becomes a published book.

The distance between the writer and the reader disappears.

Someone you have never met can suddenly enter a room inside you that you once believed belonged only to you.

And yet...

That is also the beautiful part.

Because sometimes the stranger doesn't judge the room.

They recognize it.

They say:

"I've been here too."

Maybe that is the moment a book truly becomes alive.

Not when it is published.

Not when someone buys it.

Not when it appears on a website.

When another human being finds something of themselves inside it.

That is something I never could have experienced while the pages remained private.

A private page can hold you.

A published book can hold someone else too.

That distinction means more to me than I know how to explain.

I wrote about silence because I knew what silence felt like.

I wrote about trauma because I knew what it meant to carry things that didn't stay in the past.

I wrote about longing because there were things I missed.

I wrote about tenderness because even after everything, I still believed tenderness mattered.

I wrote about survival because I was still learning what survival meant.

And then I published those words.

Not because I suddenly had all the answers.

I didn't.

I still don't.

I published them because I stopped believing that a book has to come from a finished life.

Perhaps some books are written from the middle.

From the unfinished sentence.

From the unanswered question.

From the person who is still becoming.

That is what my book is.

It isn't a monument to having overcome everything.

It is a record of having continued to write while I was still inside the struggle.

There are repetitions in it.

There are fragments.

There are moments that are messy.

There are things I understand differently now.

I left them there because I didn't want to manufacture a version of myself that never existed.

I wanted the book to remember the truth of the person who wrote it.

And now that person is no longer the only one who carries those pages.

That still amazes me.

Somewhere, someone may be holding the same book that once existed only as words on my screen.

Someone may be reading a sentence I wrote during a night when I thought nobody would ever see it.

Someone may underline something.

Fold a corner.

Stop at a particular poem.

Maybe they will cry.

Maybe they will disagree.

Maybe they will close the book and never open it again.

I have no control over what happens after a book leaves its author.

And perhaps that is another form of letting go.

You write the words.

You release them.

Then you allow readers to bring their own lives to them.

The book becomes partly theirs.

And that is okay.

Because I didn't write I Wrote So I Would Not Fade so that every reader would understand me perfectly.

I wrote it because I wanted the words to exist.

I wanted the things I couldn't say to have a physical place in the world.

I wanted the silence to become language.

And perhaps, somewhere along the way, I discovered something I wasn't expecting.

A private page can become a published book.

A published book can become a conversation.

And a conversation can become connection.

The words I once wrote alone are no longer alone.

Neither am I.

Maybe that is the most beautiful thing that can happen to a page.

It begins as something you need to say for yourself.

And one day, someone else reads it and realizes:

"I needed someone to say this for me."

That is when a private page becomes more than a page.

It becomes a bridge.

And I think that is why I will keep writing.

Because there are still pages I haven't written.

Still things I don't know how to say.

Still stories waiting somewhere inside me.

And maybe, one day, another private page will become a book.

And maybe that book will find someone who needs it.

— Jean T. Hatoum

Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γ‰crit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer

If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.

And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.

http://linktr.ee/Jean.Hatoum

I’m not finished surviving out loud. πŸ•Š️ 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codebreakers in the Dark: Why the Swiftie Fandom is a Masterclass in Empathy

I Wrote So I Would Not Fade: Taylor Swift, Trauma, and the Art of Surviving Through Words

4. The Loneliness of Being High-Functioning