The Parts of Me I Left Inside the Book
There are parts of me inside this book that I never introduced by name.
They are there anyway.
In the pauses between sentences.
In the poems that change direction halfway through.
In the memories I approached carefully, as though they were rooms where someone was still sleeping.
In the anger I softened.
In the tenderness I almost deleted.
In the questions I never managed to answer.
When I look at I Wrote So I Would Not Fade now, I sometimes forget that I am looking at a book.
Sometimes it feels more like a house I once lived in.
Every page has a door.
Some of them open easily.
Others still make me hesitate.
There are rooms I remember building.
And there are rooms I entered only after the words were already there.
That is one of the strange things about writing.
You think you are putting words onto a page.
Then, somewhere along the way, you realize the page has been putting you back together in a language you did not know you spoke.
I left pieces of my childhood inside this book.
Not every memory.
Not every detail.
But the feeling of being young and learning too early that silence can become a shelter.
I left the loneliness of rooms where nobody knew what was happening inside me.
I left the versions of myself who learned how to smile when they wanted to disappear.
I left the person who became very good at functioning while something inside was falling apart.
I left fear.
A lot of fear.
The kind that does not always announce itself.
The kind that sits quietly in the body.
The kind that makes ordinary things feel dangerous.
The kind that teaches you to rehearse disasters before they arrive.
I left grief too.
Not only grief for people.
Grief for places.
For possibilities.
For versions of myself that never got to become what they might have been.
For things I once believed would last.
For things I wanted to say and never did.
For doors that closed before I understood that they were closing.
There are people inside this book too.
Some appear clearly.
Some are hidden behind changed details and fictional distances.
Some may never know they are there.
That is perhaps one of the most complicated things about writing from life.
People leave fingerprints on us without realizing it.
A conversation can remain for years.
A kindness can become a sentence.
A wound can become a poem.
A goodbye can become an entire chapter.
And sometimes a person can leave your life without ever leaving your writing.
I left love inside these pages.
Not the perfect kind.
Not the kind that belongs only in beautiful sentences.
I left complicated love.
Tender love.
Love that stayed.
Love that disappeared.
Love that hurt.
Love that taught me something.
Love that I still do not completely understand.
Because love is not always a clean memory.
Sometimes it is a collection of contradictions.
It hurt me.
I miss it.
I survived it.
I still care.
All of those things can exist at the same time.
I left my anger too.
That may be one of the pieces I hid most carefully.
There were things I wanted to scream.
Instead, sometimes, I wrote them quietly.
There were injustices I did not know how to carry.
There were moments when I wanted the world to understand what it had done.
Writing did not always make me calmer.
Sometimes it simply gave the anger somewhere to exist without destroying everything around it.
And I left my hope.
Even when I did not feel hopeful.
Especially then.
Because hope is not always a bright thing.
Sometimes hope is nothing more than continuing to write another sentence.
Another page.
Another morning.
Another attempt to put something into words.
Sometimes hope is so small that you almost mistake it for nothing.
But it is there.
I think that is one of the most important things I left inside this book:
the part of me that kept returning.
After fear.
After silence.
After disappointment.
After the pages that became too difficult to read.
I kept returning to the page.
Not because writing fixed me.
It didn't.
Writing did not erase what happened.
It did not make the past behave differently.
It did not turn pain into something beautiful.
It simply gave me somewhere to put what I could no longer keep entirely inside myself.
And perhaps that is why I kept writing.
Because sometimes carrying something is different when you have given it a name.
There are also parts of me I left inside this book that I no longer recognize completely.
Versions of myself who were frightened.
Versions who were angry.
Versions who wanted to be understood.
Versions who believed certain things would never change.
Versions who did not yet know what would come next.
I don't want to erase those versions.
They were me too.
They deserve to exist somewhere.
Maybe that is what a book can become.
A place where our former selves are allowed to remain without controlling who we become next.
A place where the person we were can sit quietly beside the person we are becoming.
I did not leave everything inside this book.
There are still things I cannot write.
Things I am not ready to name.
Things that belong to silence for now.
And that is okay.
Writing does not require us to expose everything.
Sometimes what we leave unwritten is also part of the truth.
But I left enough.
Enough of my fear.
Enough of my tenderness.
Enough of my memories.
Enough of my contradictions.
Enough of the person I was when these pages were being written.
Enough that, when someone reads them, they may not simply see an author.
They may see a human being.
Someone trying to understand his own wreckage.
Someone trying to remember.
Someone trying to remain.
And perhaps that is the most vulnerable thing about publishing a book.
Once it leaves you, you cannot decide what parts of yourself other people will notice.
A reader may find hope in a sentence you wrote from despair.
They may find sadness in something you wrote with peace.
They may find themselves in a place where you only saw yourself.
And suddenly, a piece of your private life has become part of someone else's reading experience.
That is frightening.
But it is also beautiful.
Because the parts of me I left inside this book no longer belong entirely to me.
They have travelled.
They have crossed rooms I will never enter.
They may be sitting on someone's nightstand in a place I have never seen.
They may be held by someone who needed a particular sentence on a particular day.
And maybe that is what I wanted, even before I knew how to say it.
I wanted the things I carried alone to become words someone else could carry differently.
Not as answers.
Not as instructions.
Just as company.
So yes.
There are parts of me inside this book.
The frightened parts.
The angry parts.
The tender parts.
The grieving parts.
The hopeful parts.
The parts that remember.
The parts that still question.
The parts that are still becoming.
I left them there deliberately.
Not because I wanted to disappear into my book.
But because I wanted some evidence that I had been here.
That I had felt these things.
That I had survived these pages.
That I had written my way through moments when silence felt too heavy to carry.
I wrote so I would not fade.
And perhaps, in leaving pieces of myself between these lines, I gave those pieces somewhere to remain.
— Jean T. Hatoum
Author of I Wrote So I Would Not Fade and J’ai Γcrit Pour Ne Pas M’effacer
If these words felt like home, the rest of the map is in the book.
And if you are able to, supporting my journey helps me afford the medication that keeps my own fractured ember burning.
I’m not finished surviving out loud. π️
Comments
Post a Comment